Friday, January 11, 2008

I'll Sit This One Out

The brother-in-law and his wife are leaving in a few hours. When I'm overwhelmed, I go into a little stupor. I've probably been in a semi-stupor for a long time but the last couple of weeks have been extreme stuporville.

Then they swept in and pitched in. They've helped with both oldies. They've helped the husband look at options and make some (not all) decisions. We don't exactly have a game plan but we're a lot further ahead than we were three days ago. The brother-in-law has organized Hangdog's medications into a system that I actually understand. As I mentioned yesterday, the sister-in-law has cooked and organized my pantry.

They've been so attentive and nice to Hangdog. I don't know if he understands that they are leaving and then it's back to Big, Mean Me.

Of course, they wanted to visit the mother-in-law before they have to leave. Of course, they were kind enough to include Hangdog. Since I spent a fair amount of time on the phone last night getting an update on her condition and behavior, I decided to let the three of them go. The husband and I will be running up there constantly after they leave so I opted to say, "No thank you very much. I'll sit this one out."

I'm alone in my house. I'm doing a short happy dance.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

You are definitely not Big, Mean Me. You might consider yourself Little, Mean Me. I have seen you in action, and you are compassionate, caring, and very loving when dealing with your in-laws. I'm proud of you. Your sense of humor is delightful.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Your mother is right on. I have also seen you in action. You do a awesome job with both of them.

janis said...

DITTO! I could not have said it better.