Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Last Rites

The husband authorized the hospice chaplain/priest to give the mother-in-law last rites. This was done a few hours before she died.

She and Hangdog raised their four boys as Catholic. They attended parochial schools. Then, after they were grown, she got a little irritated with the Catholic church and they joined the Presbyterian church. (Not a big stretch.)

I am a Methodist. I have been baptized and confirmed in the Methodist church but I am not quite the member I should be. I'm working on it.

We can debate forever ... should churches pay taxes? Do they provide solace or hope or both? Does the fellowship outweigh the constant issues?

Here's what I know. I lost my mother-in-law yesterday. I do not know our minister well because I have been default in making that a priority. But I know him well enough that he was one of the first calls I made. I don't need him to preside over a service. I don't need him to visit an oldie. I wanted to hear his voice and connect with my church. I wanted to say a prayer and have someone on the phone who could guide me through it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At this point I believe the most inmportant thing is the life lived and not the church attended. This from a Catholic would probably upset a lot of my Catholic friends. But Eve seems to have attained the final resting place we all long for. God rest her soul. Patsy