Saturday, January 5, 2008

Reckless Mothers

So, I'm watching the interview with the mother of the 6-year old daughter who was trying to win tickets to see Hannah Montana. The mother helped her write a completely false essay about losing her father in Iraq. Turns out, the father is alive and well. The contest people decided she did not deserve the tickets. (Duh!) The mother went on national television to apologize for her role in this fiasco.

Maybe it's a sign of my age but the mother looked about 18-years old to me. Then she mentioned that she has two other children.

In her well-crafted, attorney-drafted statement, she sounded remorseful. Then she made the crucial mistake of answering questions. One question was, "What's the worst thing about all of this?"

She's had to move from her apartment. She didn't mention that her daughter has been taught that cheating and lying is ok. I could go on and on. Her answer was, "I had to shut down my My Space page." This made me crazy.

Britney Spears has once again lost custody of her children. She refuses to comply with those silly court-ordered things like drug tests, visitation rights, etc. Now she's OD'd or had a nervous breakdown and was rushed to the hospital. Her 16-year old sister is pregnant. The mother (Lynne) was writing a book about parenting. The publisher has decided to shelve it. If you were pregnant or the mother of a young child, isn't this the person you would turn to for parental advice?

I have a mother who checks on me daily to make sure I'm ok. She brings me things like notebooks and pens because she knows my affection for school/office supplies. She sends me food.

If I tried to win a contest by writing an essay, she would've made me write it myself. (But she would've helped with proofreading.)

Good mothers let you know that they are always in your corner. They also pick you up, prop you up, point a direction and insist that you stand on your own two feet.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

Yes, I agree. You are one of the luckiest people on the planet to have the mother that you do.

I like your dad too.

Sandy said...

Thank you for the kind words, Sheri and Cess. Sheri, I'm certainly glad you got over hating me when you were a teenager.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Right on, Sheri! Patsy