Monday, January 28, 2008

Officer Unfriendly

Last week, the husband and I barely stopped to breathe. Decisions, notifications, endless phone calls, funeral arrangements, travel arrangements, etc.

I was trained as a journalist and my current writing work always involves deadlines. I understand deadlines and in fact, I work a little faster and a little better with my feet held to the fire.

We wanted the Belle's obit to appear in several papers. The husband instructed me to get it to the funeral home (with the photo) by noon -- so I had 20 minutes.

An aside -- I had just finished editing it for the umpteenth time and I was very emotional. The husband and I had gone through photos before he left for work and I was weepy with memories. But I threw on some clothes and headed off with tears in my eyes.

I was speeding (not much) through a school zone. This is not the kind of school zone where children walk to school. This is a gated community school -- the kind where your biggest risk is a 16-year old child runs into you with his Jaguar. But, it is a school zone.

I got pulled over for speeding. I was crying uncontrollably. I had the obit and the photo sitting on my passenger seat. I gave Officer Unfriendly my driver's licence and attempted to explain the circumstances.

Officer Unfriendly gave me a speeding ticket.

1 comment:

janis said...

I am so sorry! What a red neck! I am surprised he didn't have more heart & give you a warning instead. I know the area & you are right, I have never seen any students walking at all! Once I was speeding (also in a school zone) and had my cat inside a pillow case in the pasenger seat. I started the tears, explained that the cat was sick, (looked like a wild cat stuck in a pillow case) and tried to explain the cat's situation. I asked him if he wanted to see my cat... "he said that's okay, tell you what, just slow it down, you will get to the vet quicker if you don't get pulled over or in an accident". I was lucky. I guess my Officer was friendlier than yours!