Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Port in the Storm

Things have come to a head around here. The word "storm" is too subtle but I might offend you if I used the words that are swirling in my mind.

While the husband was on a business trip, I was informed it was time to move the mother-in-law from the hospital. She is not well enough to be home but she's not sick enough to remain in the hospital. A temporary care facility is the only option.

Have you ever tried to arrange that in less than 24 hours? I don't know about other cities but the facilities here all have waiting lists. So, I started pleading with the doctor, "Please find some way to give me another 24 hours. Say she has an infected toenail, say she has a fever, etc." He is an honorable guy; I am an unconvicted FELON!

Then the Cavalry came to town. The husband's brother and his wife arrived. They are the relatives in Texas who just hosted them for nine days over the holidays. All blinders are off. Plus, they are medical people so I could turn over the medication dispensing chore to them. Relief does not begin to describe it. They are also very funny and interesting people so I got to talk about something other than body functions or food.

Well, I take that back. My sister-in-law finds cooking relaxing. (I'm not sure what planet she hails from.) I did make a meal for their arrival but since then, she's done all the cooking and she is an amazing cook. She's also cleaned out and rearranged my pantry. She enjoys doing these kinds of things. I'm wondering if she hears, "ET -- Phone Home" in her brain.

So, we're making decisions. Still an incredible amount of indescribable details to attend to. The husband and his brother have taken Hangdog for his regular appointment at the VA but I loaded them up with questions and information. Tonight should be interesting.

The sister and I are going to pick up their car from the dealership. We had it towed there after the last two incidents: car in the front yard, car in the mailbox. If I have anything to say about it, the car is going away.

Yesterday was an emotional roller coaster. Last night was family discussions and lots of laughs and tears. There's a lot ahead of us but these two people have saved me.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I'm so thankful the brother-in-law and sister-in-law showed up. God bless them!
Love,
Mom

cecily crossman said...

Advice to the 4 of you. Don't back down. You know what you have to do.

Oh, and, yes, I HAVE been there:

"Your husband can't stay in the hospital."

"Your husband can't go home."

"Your husband can't get into rehab."

Anonymous said...

We are so happy that this is beginning to work out for the best. God bless all of you. Patsy and Nick