Friday, January 11, 2008

You Must've Gone to College

There's a slight chance that we might get a little bit of snow over the weekend. Like a lot of Midwestern women, that triggers something in my mind: Must go to the store and get milk, bread and eggs! (My friend Jim has decided that the entire Midwest eats nothing but french toast in any kind of weather crisis.)

Of course, I truly don't care if we have milk, bread or eggs. But, I bought some. I also bought ingredients for soup and a few other essentials like wine.

As the (very polite) 9-year old boy was ringing up my order, he was puzzled by a couple of the specials. For example, if you buy a carton of XXXX, you get $2 off. I did buy 10 (the quantity in the carton) but I mixed different flavors and made my own carton. This was too much for him so I had to explain how to ring it up. He thanked me and then said, "You must've gone to college."

I said, "I don't think it has anything to do with college but I worked in retail a long, long time."

Then I bagged my own groceries because I have my own system.

1 comment:

janis said...

I find it so disturbing that I always have clerks that do not understand how to ring things up & bag my groceries! I love the new check out lines that you do it yourself, except for the times I am behind someone that ends up needing help with how to do it!