Monday, March 31, 2008

Barking

My previous dog rarely barked. She had one exception: squirrels. I used to tell people, "If you plan to rob my house, I highly recommend you do not wear a squirrel costume."

Same breed; totally different dog. This maniac barks at the jar of peanut butter. Her barking dance with a bone is comical. If a dog barks on a television commercial, she feels an urgent need to respond. She also chatters and it's somewhere between a moan and a meow. I tell her she sounds like a wuss.

The husband barks and it's usually at the weather. Occasionally he barks at me and I have learned to take it in stride. Sometimes (just to keep it interesting,) I bite back.

The oldies did not bark at each other. At first I admired this. Then, I paid attention. An icy tone or a cold shoulder can be more destructive than someone barking in your face. The Belle did not do this often but it was in her arsenal.

My parents have two little yippy dogs. They swear these dogs are quiet and well-behaved when they go about their daily routines. When I'm there, they bark themselves hoarse. I should tell them, "Hey munchkins, I lived here first."

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

When I make my yearly visit I always have to go to the baby gate and let those little yippy dogs know who's boss.

But I don't reach in.

Sandy said...

I'm afraid we have failed in our attempts to teach our dogs good behavior. They are spoiled rotten and embarrass me every time we have guests. Harriett loves company, but Ashley just wants a piece of everybody (and she sometimes gets it).
Love,
Mom