Sunday, March 30, 2008

Know When to Hold 'em

I was pretty broken hearted to learn that the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus were living in the bedroom next door. I like denial so I put off reality as long as I possibly could.

My heart has been broken by more than one boy or man. Some things are not meant to be. Some things don't ring true. I try to learn the lesson.

People act like friendships are the easiest things in the world. They're not. Hi hi, kiss kiss friendships are easy. Actually, that's not friendship. It's being an acquaintance. Friendships involve knowing your faults, knowing your parents and children, knowing the disaster of your financial situation or a marriage on the cusp of disaster. It's not easy. Just like a marriage or any other relationship you've chosen, they require commitment, dedication and a strong dose of faith. It's a choice to fold 'em or hold 'em.

You can't divorce your parents or your children. You can surrender a pet but I truly hope you are not one of those people. You can resign from a client. When it comes to friends, all options are open. I've been way, way too obsessed with my own issues, my oldies and my life that I forgot to look around. I've let some people down.

I'm on a mission to fix it. I choose to hold 'em.

3 comments:

janis said...

I beg to differ. With all that has been going on in your life, you amaze me how you find time to be such a good friend, sounding board & confident. You have great wisdom & help me to think things out and make better choices when I take the time to listen to your advice. I can't speak for everyone, but I am quite sure you haven't let me down...ever.

janis said...

ps... what is this nonsense about the Easter Bunny & Santa? I still believe.

Anonymous said...

Anytime you feel like you have let someone down read Janis' note over and over to yourself. Beth