Saturday, March 1, 2008

Homeless

We've had a cold winter. (Redundant, I know.) Our local newspaper, along with the TV stations, likes to highlight the homeless problem in our city. The weather adds an extra level of cruelty to a harsh situation.

If I had the answer, I'd be running for office or organizing a crusade. Here's what I believe:
The numbers and statistics you read about the homeless are seriously under reported.
Homeless people are not necessarily drug addicts, alcoholics or mentally ill.
The homeless cycle is a whirlwind that continues to spiral downward whether it's no car, no job, no money, no food, no hope.
Most government programs are a band-aid, not a cure.

In my early days of corporate life I parked about 5 blocks from my office. Like a postman, I walked through rain, sleet and snow. There was a homeless man who lived under an overpass that I greeted every single time I saw him. He was a little creepy but I never felt afraid -- although he did have this bizarre need to touch my hair. I wouldn't exactly define it as a friendship but I did get concerned if he wasn't there.

The Belle used to tell me that I am too kind. I don't think it's true and I don't think that's a possibility for anyone. Kindness is a good thing; there's no such thing as too much. On counterpoint, the husband will tell you that I am the meanest woman on the planet. As usual, I'm somewhere in the middle.

3 comments:

janis said...

you know how I feel about this issue. We are very much on the same page. Thank you for reminding people that they are not necessarily drug addicts. alcoholics, or even con artist. I keep my "bum money" in the car ready to give a buck to some soul on the corner. No matter what my friends say about me being gulible or foolish to give, I feel that even when things are rough for me, I am so fortunate to not be in there shoes.

Anonymous said...

That was a very insightful post. What made you think about the homeless? I donate several times a year to the Wheeler Mission. I was surprised and disturbed to read this week they are in dire financial straits and cutting lots of programs and foscusing just on housing and feeding the homeless.

This makes me want to keep donating all the more. Most people living in our society are just one paycheck from being homeless. With the economy and the mortgage situation going on now we will be seeing a lot more people in this situation and they are not alcoholics, drug addicts or crazy--- just unlucky to not have saved enough for the future or just made some bad decisions.

I will keep supporting Wheeler Mission and hope they get back on thier feet soon.

Nice blog,

Rich

Anonymous said...

St. Vincent de Paul Society needs you, Shari. The people we serve are in need for so many reasons, bad judgement, bad breaks, no education, too many children and no father, etc. But we have to see the face of the Lord in them and make no judgements. Which is very hard to do sometimes. You have the right attitude. Patsy