Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To

I love Lesley Gore. Her songs are simple ballads and get this, you can actually understand the lyrics. It's mostly teenage angst but when you listen to them in middle age, the same feelings are there. They're just focused in a new direction.

My aunt introduced me to her and I learned every word to every song. (Her greatest hits are on my iPod.) Decades after my aunt gave me the gift of her music, Lesley Gore performed a concert here and my aunt and I danced and sang in the aisles. It's one of my favorite memories.

Another aunt thinks it's healthy that I can cry and laugh easily. My emotions are not contained. I didn't know our bodies held this much salty water. I can cry until I laugh and I can laugh until I cry.

Hangdog called last night. After our conversation, I cried.
The husband did something extra nice for me last night. I cried.
Someone sent me a funny email. I laughed until I cried.

In a few days I'm headed off for a quickie vacation. I'm afraid the girlfriends involved may lock me in a closet until I stop crying. Even if it's a happy cry.

1 comment:

janis said...

Now I can't get..."It's Judy's turn to Cry", out of my mind.