Saturday, March 8, 2008

When Children Multiply

One of the golden girls sent an email yesterday. Her area of the country had a freak snow storm and her children don't see much snow. All of a sudden, it's time for snowball fights and the possibility of building a snowman.

She has two children. At one point, there were four children in her yard. The next time she looked outside, there were eight children.

(I don't refer to them as my golden girls because we're old. It's because we've known each other forever and our friendship is golden.)

I don't know which one of us responded first but I know my fingers were flying across the keyboard and our friend sent the same message:
Enjoy it!
What fun to have a group of young people romping through the snow in your yard!

The Belle's stories about her boys and then her grandchildren still make me smile.

If you do the parenting job well, your children become self-sufficient. They go out into the world and carve their own way. On a snowy day, you might be holding a mug of cocoa and looking at an empty, snow-covered yard ... waiting for children and hoping there will be multitudes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was happy we didn't get hit yesterday but I was secretly happy we got about 5 inches today because the boys and I went over to Eric's shop and did some snowboarding and sledding down the "big" mound behind the shop. At first I was thinking about all the things I could be doing at home but then I realized that this moment won't be around forever....

Anonymous said...

in a few years my boys probably won't be interested in hanging out with their mom so I enjoy our moments now. We had a blast! I kind of hope it sticks around thru Sunday so we can play some more. I know exactly what the Belle went through.

Kim

Sandy said...

The Belle would be happy to know there is another mother like her out there. She cherished her time with her boys and made as much fun with them as she could. Good for Kim!