Saturday, March 15, 2008

Hanging my Head over Hangdog

Today, I caught myself hanging my head in that sort of *woe is me" thing. I was on a plane headed home.

Hangdog did not survive the surgery. Both of the oldies are gone.

His wish was to reunite with his Love, his Belle, but I do have this recurring vision in my brain of her saying, "Not yet, please!"

Two of the brothers are here and the dynamics must be the same as in their childhood. Some bickering but mostly love and support.

Hangdog did not wish to be on this earth without her. Her absence was a cancer that ate at him continuously. The husband and I spent countless hours hanging our heads over our loss of privacy, time, money, etc. For a flicker of a second, that seems absurd.

We will make our trek to Mississippi to bury the beloved Captain. We will honor him. Then I hope we can get the hell out of Dodge because I don't won't to see Mississippi for a long while. I don't even want to fly over it. It's become the Bermuda Triangle of the last few years.

He can't read it but you can: "Bye Captain, Bye Hangdog, Bye Pop. Loving you sometimes made me crazy but I love you. Peace be with you."

4 comments:

Sandy said...

He and the Belle will be missed greatly.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Dan's and your loss. I have seen/heard about this so many times that when one loved one dies-- the other is close behind. I am heartfelt that they are now together once again!!!

It sure seems fron your blogs that they had on hell of a good life together.

My condolences,,

Rich

Anonymous said...

This brought tears. Love, Patsy

Anonymous said...

God bless you and Dan, you truly are selfless. They were blessed to spend their last years with you two and the rest of the family close by. My prayers are with you both.

Kim