Monday, March 10, 2008

A Degree in Political Science

The husband and I talk politics and government policies. Hangdog loves to discuss his time in the service during WWII. The Belle had an opinion on everything political. Wonder where the husband got that gene?

Geography is not my strong suit. But I have this compulsion to understand an issue and the locale. Just like my need to have a dictionary close by, I have gigantic maps -- one of the US and one of the world. (I actually bought them for the baby but ended up stealing them to my office.)

When I was in Journalism school, we were encouraged to have a second major. Journalism training teaches you to research, interview and hopefully, write in a coherent fashion. It does not make you an expert in anything with the possible exception of annoying people with questions.

For my second major, I chose Political Science. And, I loved it. We studied different regimes, here and abroad. We studied countries and how their governments have changed. This was 25+ years ago so we spent a lot of time on the USSR. We also studied quite a bit about the Middle East.

Fast forward 25 years. Most of these countries have changed names and boundaries. Some have been released from Communism. Some have become more communistic. The Middle East looks and acts like nothing I learned in college.

I watched the news this morning. I got out my gigantic maps. I am not educated in political science but I have a degree that says I am.

No comments: