Sunday, March 9, 2008

What Not to Say -- Part Two

This is not as eloquent as the post about military wives. But it does ring in with the "Duh!" factor. Here's some of my list of what not to say to me:

1. Your Dog is a Maniac.
Yes, I know that. I try my best to get her acclimated and when you are in my home, I try my best to keep her out of the way.

2. You drink/smoke/curse too much.Duh!
These are not honorable vices but until you've walked in my shoes, I'll get a little offended.

3. You're not aging well.
No, I'm not. Do you think I don't own a mirror?

4. You're a Saint.
Mother Teresa - yes; Sheri Roman - no.

5. It must be fun to have a rock and roll husband.
Yes and no. It's fun to watch the band perform and I am proud of their accomplishments. But you are not here while he's playing the same refrain OVER and OVER again trying to learn a part. The band takes up huge chunks of time and money. It's his release so I so go forward and enjoy. But sometimes I get a little cranky.

6. You're too thin.
Yes, I am. But I am well within the parameters that my doctor established for me. See number 3. I do own a mirror.

7. You spend too much time on the phone.
This is Hangdog's biggest complaint with me. Yes, I talk to my parents. Yes, I talk to girlfriends. I am also trying to run a business and most of my work is done through phone calls and email. I also seem to talk to him several times every day or in the middle of the night.

8. Don't you miss the children?
This is the ultimate on the "duh" scale. Of course I (we) miss them. The husband and I have spent many nights in a slump because we have an empty nest. We question every decision. Then we remember that it's their turn to make their own decisions.

What are your hot buttons?

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I have to ask, was this blog directed at me?

Love,
Mom

janis said...

Sandy, you are so funny! I am waiting for you to start a Blog. Sheri, you are the best, I am glad you let people know you are aware of their concerns, and that you take things with a grain of salt! At least people voice their concerns & you have this vast fanclub of people that care so much about you.

Anonymous said...

Shari---- or should I say Sheri:

What the hell!! Whoever said you are not aging well needs you to give them a mirror!!!!

Hope you are having fun on vacation.