Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Will it Matter Next Year?

My father does an excellent job of keeping things in perspective. As I'm wailing and complaining, he will often ask me, "Will it matter or will you remember this problem next year?"

That's why I treasure his advice. He can separate the trivial stuff from the life altering experiences.

This is easier for men. Usually the even-keeled men have a hands-on woman sweeping up and dealing with the minutia. Hangdog was pretty low key in his old age. The Belle took care of the details.

But the philosophy still holds and I'm working on it. I don't see black and white. My perspectives change but there's a lot of gray. If life were a poll, I'd check "undecided" far too often.

1 comment:

janis said...

I love your Dad (even when he scares me @ Meijer!). I think I should turn to him more often for advice. He & your Mom too. You are so Blessed. Maybe that is why I turn to you so often for advice, you are their daughter!