Friday, March 21, 2008

Ding -- Coming Home

We forgot the watch. We wanted to hit the button in his honor during our trip.

Today we had the funeral and burial service for the Captain, my beloved Hangdog. (You know how people put stupid nicknames in the obituaries? I had a temptation to put "Hangdog" in his but reason prevailed.)

He had, and now we have, the most obnoxious watch ever made. You push a button on the side and there's a very loud ding and then it announces the time. This could be a useful tool but when you're trapped in a car, a room or a city where he pushes the button every 60 seconds, it can get be bothersome.

It's Good Friday. I am a creature of habit. I should have attended services today with my friends. Instead, I am in a hotel in Mississippi. But, Good Friday services still happened.

I watched four brothers hold each other and share tears and memories. Good Friday. I watched grandsons serve as pallbearers and then toss frisbees and balls in the hotel parking lot. I watched several generations of the Belle's family come to honor her husband. Good Friday.

There's no need for any of these contraptions in heaven but I have this vision of him. He's hitting the button on the annoying watch and yelling, "Honey! Time for me to be home."

2 comments:

janis said...

Awe!!!

cecily crossman said...

The day my dad died my son in law called me and said, "Glenn and Carmen are having dinner together tonight."

Probably not theologically sound but I'll never forget it.