Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Deer in the Headlights

This phrase is a pretty accurate description of many people in a panic situation, myself included. Others, like the husband, go into action mode.

After I left my job in the jewelry stand, I moved on to a great job in a drugstore. Sometimes I worked as a cashier but my favorite part was working in the pharmacy. They sent me to classes to become a Pharmacy Tech. (I've never really understood what that means.) We had a very cranky pharmacist but for whatever reason, he liked working with me. I just liked wearing the white coat.

Our drugstore was connected to a grocery store which is not uncommon. The pharmacist discovered that someone was stealing narcotics. I would suspect the oldies but they didn't know me at the time. (I'm kidding!) So, an undercover cop appeared on the scene. As a trained professional, he figured out what was happening -- someone was crawling through the ducts between the grocery store and the drugstore, dropping down and stealing drugs. They (cops) set up a sting operation. I had no clue.

One day I was running to the front of the store to get cash and the criminal was meandering through the store. Undercover cop spotted him and began chasing him through the aisles.

Here's what I remember: Gun drawn by policeman. Yelling to "Get down!" Something registered in my brain that I was between the two of them and one of them was waving a gun. I froze.

After the criminal was apprehended, the undercover cop came up to me and said, "Sheri, I was trying to tell you to get out of the way."

I have tremendous admiration for people who can react appropriately in a scary situation. I am not one of them but someday I plan to join the club.

No comments: