Thursday, February 7, 2008

What Do You Do?

As the wife of a man about town who has a certain amount of name recognition, I am greeted warmly and most of the time, I can predict the next question.

"What do you do?"

I used to answer honestly. I would say things like, "I dress people, schlep them around and today I cleaned up vomit and changed sheets." This did not please the husband so I changed my approach.

I tried, "I used to be Director of Marketing for a large banking corporation. I used to run a successful small business." I used to have some sense of organization. This is all true but no one wants to hear about the past.

You are who you think you are. Some days, that's the only identity you cling to. My small business is still one of my priorities. But lately, the answer to the never-ending question is crystal clear.

I am a writer.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Yes you are, and a very good one.

janis said...

Ditto! You are a creative, intriguing, and entertaining writer. Your writing makes me think, it makes me want more. I love reading anything & everything you write.