Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Love of Music

Before the oldies left for their Christmas vacation in Texas, we discussed gifts. I suggested no gifts. It didn't fly. She wanted to buy the husband a jacket that he would never wear. I spent quite a bit of time trying to talk her out of it.

As you know, they returned from Texas and she went almost immediately to the hospital, then the rehab center, then the hospice. And finally, home to Mississippi.

One of our last conversations was about music. She was about as technologically-savvy as any 84-year old you could meet. In two and one-half years, she amassed a freakishly large CD collection. She might wander in my office as I was downloading something on my iPod. The number of songs it can hold blew her away. The idea of plugging it in a speaker system and using a remote control made her pretty darn excited.

I planned to buy her an iPod for our post-Christmas exchange. I planned to download all of her CDs. Instead, I will probably put them on eBay.

No comments: