Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Only Man I Love

One of my teenage friends recently said to me, "He's the only man I love."

After I stopped rolling my eyes and holding my side, I explained my perspective: You will love many men.

If you're lucky, your first male love was and continues to be your father.
Grandfathers make some pretty great loves. Plus, they let you get away with a lot.
I've never had a brother but I've always wanted one and I understand their love is a bond that no one should mess with.
Uncles are one of life's greatest gifts.
Male friends will protect and honor you.
You never know when a brother-in-law will turn out to save you.
You will have a first love, maybe some middle loves and hopefully, a forever love.
Someday you might have a son. Tell me then about only loving one man.

The Belle had four sons and loved them all with a passion. She also loved the Captain. Movies and books simplify love and life. It's not simple; it's extremely messy. But love abounds and like her, I love a lot of men.

No comments: