Friday, February 22, 2008

Good Cop/Bad Cop

If I push it, I can keep a secret from my parents for about 24 hours. When anything is bothering me, I am itching to call them. Yet, I know what's in store. Bad Cop will let me cry and complain. (There might be an "I told you so" lecture.) Advice will be plentiful and helpful.

Good Cop will understand that Bad Cop has already taken care of the necessary details. Good Cop gets to hear the daughter and lend an ear. No judgment needed; the cops will discuss it later.

My parents are not angels but they are an amazing unit. I could marry as often as Elizabeth Taylor and never find a union as fitting as theirs.

I called today with a problem. Bad Cop said, "Face it and figure it out." Good Cop said, "Kick 'em." Good advice from both sides.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Bad Cop gave "good advice, and the Good Cop gave "bad" advice. Maybe you have misnamed them.

janis said...

Everyone needs a Good Cop/Bad Cop. I completely get why you gave them their titles. Bad Cop, although we love,tells us what we need to hear, even when we really don't want to. Good Cop, on the other hand, knows we already know that (& that Bad Cop will tell us if not already), but is there for us, giving us the advice that will make us smile & be strong again. I wish I had a Good Cop/ Bad Cop, although I know yours are there for me always too. I love them both for that.