Monday, February 18, 2008

A New Perspective on an Old Movie

My grandmother (the sane one,) my mother and I went to see "On Golden Pond" in the theater. It was 1981 or 1982, We all loved it, although I do remember my grandmother saying, "Oh the language!" If memory serves, they said, "Bulls**t" and "Damn."

Three generations of women watching a multi-generational movie. Hmmm. Wonder why that's a memory that sticks with me?

Jane Fonda was about 40-years old in the movie. I wanted to look like her in that two-piece swimsuit. It was Henry Fonda's last movie and the touching scenes between the real father and daughter acting as father and daughter were heart breaking.

It was on the other night and I couldn't sleep so I watched it for the umpteenth time. This used to be a charming movie to me ... filled with warm memories and interesting family dynamics. That feeling has changed.

Now I see Henry Fonda as a crotchety old man who seems intent on alienating everyone. I see Hangdog. I see Katharine Hepburn as a woman who has taken "protect and defend" to new heights. I see the Belle. I wish I could ask her if she confused the marriage vows with the U.S. Army swearing-in ceremony.

In my nicer moments, I can make kind comparisons. Both characters in the movie were well educated and crazy in love. That's a wonderful thing but I won't be watching this movie for a while.

2 comments:

janis said...

I haven't re-watched this one in many years. It is interesting though how my prospective changes in a favorite movie, as time goes by. I see things differently as I age. Marriage, children, middle age, as well as just dealing with what life gives us. You got thinking about rewatching a few oldies. I have many videos that I have bought over the years, that are just gathering dust. I am always eagar to pick up a current movie at Blockbusters. Maybe this weekend I will look through my collection.

Anonymous said...

For an interesting take on the same movie, please visit: www.mybesttime-mybesttime.blogspot.com. Click on the subject, "On Golden Pond."