Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pay Attention

My cousin-in-law and I had a long conversation last night. We talked about Hangdog. We enjoyed memories of the Belle. I love her on many levels but lately I love her for her bluntness. She is one of the minister's wives I wrote about previously. She does it her way and she cracks me up.

When her husband first heard the calling, she told him, "Maybe he just wants you to join the choir." That didn't fly. So, she tried, "Maybe he wants you to teach Sunday school." He did but it wasn't enough. To his credit, he went for it and continues to follow his calling. I have a special spot of admiration for people who follow their calling. I also have a great respect for those who turn themselves inside out and give wings to their spouse. I'm usually the one running around with clippers.

God speaks to me but it's in a different way. He does not want me to join the ministry. (If I'm hearing correctly, he's saying "Please No!") But he does want me to pay attention to the rocks, stones and boulders he's tossing my direction.

3 comments:

janis said...

I am glad you are listening to God. You need to pay attention before He sends a really big blouder your way! By the way, I would join your church if you ever did get the calling. I would be upfront, shouting "Amen!" to your sermons.
Love you Sister Sheri!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the time last night. I feel closer to my aunt and uncle knowing you so unselfishly took care of them.You would make a great pastors wife...you listen and truly care for people who even at the good times make it hard---I need to take a lesson from you. Now is your time--GO FOR IT!!! I love you and Big Daddy

cecily crossman said...

Do you know the story about the guy who asked God for a sign about what he should do with his life and then saw G.P.C. written in the sky?

So he entered the ministry thinking it meant Go Preach Christ but after he died God told him it meant

Go Plant Corn.

So be careful about the signs.