Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Different Kind of High Maintenance

When the oldies first came to live with us, I wanted them to feel welcome and comfortable. They were on the road to recovery from various ailments (cancer) and surgeries like a few hip replacements. I showed them the town, our favorite markets, etc. I also took her to the hair salon and the manicure/pedicure people. Once they had their bearings and strength back, the manicure and pedicure became a ritual for them. (Of course, she had to include Hangdog.)

I have created a monster.

In a lucrative year, I have three pedicures. The oldies went every two weeks. Now Hangdog (in the Home) is a little incensed that pedicures aren't on the list of services provided. He's starting to panic.

I used to be squeamish but living with the oldies cured that affliction quickly. I offered to trim his toenails. After all, I gave him a manicure before the Belle's funeral. No! He wants the entire pedicure experience.

I have a new mission. I will find someone to go to the Home and give him a pedicure. Or, I will haul him to a nail salon. I'm wondering how many 84-year old men think a regular pedicure, or lack thereof, is a significant worry.

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

Why don't you take Hangdog and your dad to get pedicures together?

Anonymous said...

Gosh, it sounds to me like he is going to do better than we thought he would. Maybe it is just a way not to think so much about his loss. Patsy