Monday, February 25, 2008

Piercings and Tattoos

Considering my fear of unnecessary use of needles, even I'm amazed that I have pierced ears. My mom and I did this little venture together and held each other's hands. (This was back in the day when they stuck a cork behind your earlobe and jabbed it in.) I tried to flee after the first one was done but she was stronger than me. Plus, the whole adventure was my idea.

Needless to say, I do not have a tattoo. It's never going to happen.

I am not a teenager but I seem to know an awful lot of people who have chosen this version of self expression. I can't pick up People Magazine without some 20-year old, 40-year old, 60-year old wearing a gorgeous dress and showing the world her ink work. I turn the page quickly.

I worked in one of those middle-of-the-mall jewelry stands when I was about 15-years old. The only reason I got the job was it required a steady hand with the engraving pen and the owner liked my handwriting.

By then, that ear-piercing gun contraption had been invented and he informed me that I would also be required to perform that task. There was an exchange student at our school and some of my friends brought her in after hours so I could pierce her ears. She said, "Now I am like cow." (For you non-farm people, that's how they used to identify cows -- tag them in the ear.")

I'm very relieved that no one was into tattoos during that time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when Kim had her ears peirced and needed my help to put in her first earring. I could not do it, too squeemish, so she had to run to your house and have your Mom put it in. It still grosses me to think about that. Patsy

janis said...

Oh my Gosh! I remember that day! What was her name? I can see her face, she was so afraid her parents would be angry that she let you pierce them, "just like a cow!". You also forgot to mention that I was one of your victims. We were laughing so hard, I felt that gun sliding across my earlobe and you still managed to get them straight! And that was a double piercing! Thank God we were not into piercing other areas other than the ear!
ps to Patsy... When I worked at the Deaf School I had about 8 little girls that depended on me to get their earrings in & out, that was enough to make me enforce to my own daughters that they had to be old enough to do it themselves! I had the hardest time helping them. And don't even get me started about my daughters belly rings....

cecily crossman said...

I'm constantly amazed at your skill set.

Anonymous said...

In 1968 when I was 15 I wanted my ears pierced and mother as usual said,"no only Chaney's have pierced ears".I still have no idea who or what 'chaney's are. I know we were not allowed to associate w/anyone my mother thought could be a "chaney". I must admit I have told my daughter the same thing when she ask for an opinion. When my cool aunt from Texas was visiting-mother made the mistake of running to the store. My aunt told me to get in the kitchen chair and she took a sewing needle, a rubber ball and a piece of ice and just that quick I had pierced ears. If my memory serves me right, my aunt cut her visit short and returned to Ft Worth. To this day I can wear 50cent earings with no problem. I tried not to act surprised when my daughter came home from college w/a pierced belly button. I did not call her a "chaney". I told her I would reserve that for when and if she ever got a tattoo. Beth