Friday, February 22, 2008

Exes

If you live in my city and I have known you for any length of time, chances are that I run into your ex.

It doesn't have to be an ex-spouse. Many times it's someone you dated. And trust me, that person wants to ask about you.

Big Daddy's exes are my wives-in-law so running into each other is not a problem. We plan it. We look forward to it.

People slip into a comfortable vocabulary, i.e. "my ex-husband or my ex-boyfriend." Does that negate the rest of the relations? Are they ex-stepchildren? Do brothers and sisters-in-laws become exes? It can get quirky. I need the relationship with my first in-laws. Big Daddy is still very close to his brother-in-law from his first marriage. The legal status may change but the love does not.

Several years ago, we went to hear my (ex)brother-in-law perform. We do this several times a year. I was standing in line for the restroom and a lady asked me how I knew the family. I answered, "I am family." It completely freaked her out. Some people live a much more sheltered life than I do.

No comments: