Sunday, July 15, 2007

Asking Permission versus Asking Forgiveness

I am blessed with many young girls in my life. They don't often ask for my advice but when they do, I do not run out of things to say.

Great relationships rely on give and take. Respect for each other is crucial. Someone will have to play the role of social secretary.

Big Daddy has a busy life -- work, band, golf, committees, etc. A long time ago, he started letting me know what was on his schedule for the week. I complied but I am also used to changing plans at the last minute. I can be ready to go out in less than 30 minutes. He can bring anyone home for dinner and I am usually unfazed.

A few years ago, I decided it was ok to put things on my schedule. This has not always turned out well. I usually go ahead with my plans anyway.

The olders confer to the point of exhaustion. I used to think that was quaint and cute. Now, I think it is nuts. Somebody make a decision and abide by it!

Listen up young girls! It is almost always preferable to seek forgiveness. Asking permission makes me feel like a doormat. You'll probably figure out a better system.

No comments: