Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Motorized Chairs

When the oldies first joined us here, their health was pretty frail. He was recovering from two hip replacements and she was finishing chemotherapy. We spent a bit of time pushing wheelchairs. The father-in-law was fascinated with a motorized scooter. Big Daddy said, "Not in my house." Our goal was to complete the physical therapy and get him walking. He has moved from a wheelchair to a walker to a cane. I catch him walking without the cane and he's doing pretty darn well.

They have motorized scooters with carts at the warehouse store. Now I know why he loves to go there. The last time they went, he mowed over a couple of displays so now the mother-in-law will not let him drive one.

For people with no ability, these chairs are a Godsend. For people who need to do their physical therapy, they are a cop out.

He may spend a lot of time in bed but when he's up, he's walking.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

I did not allow scooter conversation for other reasons. Can you imagine my Real Husband toward the end with that kind of power? I gladly pushed the wheelchair.