Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Musical Talent

I have zero musical talent. I love music and I'm in awe of people who can sing and/or play an instrument.

The husband and the mother-in-law play by ear. They can listen to a song and sit down at the piano and fake through it. It's amazing. Their musical styles are different but I love it all. He plays in a band and can pick up multiple instruments and play them with ease.

Here's how we ended up with a piano. About 10 years ago, a girlfriend decided to sell hers as a part of her divorce. I couldn't afford it but I knew it would be great for Big Daddy. It was to be his Christmas gift but the delivery people couldn't bring it until after Christmas. I had a girlfriend take a photo of me, ala Michelle Pfeiffer in "The Fabulous Baker Boys," and I wrapped it for Christmas morning. Then, one of my friends said, "No." I will find someone to deliver it on Christmas Eve. To my amazement, he did. For extra fun, I had to dismantle and move the Christmas tree. Then I had to have Big Daddy's friends keep him busy for hours while I waited for the delivery. Their idea of keeping him busy was hitting golf balls through the clubhouse, drinking and calling me a lot.

When he finally came home, we had the piano in place. It took him a few minutes to notice the Grand Piano in the living room. Another glass of wine? Actually he was overwhelmed by the people milling about -- he promptly sat down and played.

We've had some of our best times in this house standing around the piano with friends and family. Both kids are fascinated with music.

The dog has some musical talent. She works that squeaky ball and I sing along. "Sing, sing a song. Make it simple ..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember so clearly when you were looking seriously at this piano and wanting to get it......It was too much fun getting the setting, clothing, etc. just right for that sexy photo that, to this day, sits on top of the piano. I also remember the day you surprised Big Daddy with it.....Such fun and wonderful memories!

Love you!
Pammie