Monday, July 16, 2007

Different Memories

Recently, we had a little skirmish about something that happened in the family many years ago. We all remember it differently. Of course, we're all convinced that we remember it the correct way.

Sometimes, the husband will tell a story and I'm tempted to jump in and correct him. I am working very hard to curtail this urge but often I fail.

I do this little mantra in my head: Let it go, Let it go, Let it go.

It works best for me if I sing it in my mind, "Oh the weather outside is frightful ..." Feel free to sing along. "Let it go, Let it go, Let it go."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This struck a cord with me. I had a problem with wanting all stories to be the same as mine until a good freind tole me something she learned from a college professor. "There is no reality, just perception" Now, when Nick tells a story totally wrong I just repeat that. It really helps. Patsy

Anonymous said...

What a good comment from Patsy. I must remember that story because I get hung up on being very factual. I must remind myself that we each have our own perception, which doesn't necessarily make it wrong.
Remember, Daddy called me the prosecutor. I always wanted the "facts."
Mom