Monday, July 23, 2007

Becoming My Mother

Doesn't every girl/woman go through this? You look in the mirror -- you're your mother. Some expression comes out of your mouth -- you're your mother.

Many, many years ago, I was going through a box of old family photos. There I was in a photo, in a bathrobe, in our kitchen. I said to my mother, "I don't remember this." She said, "It's not you, it's me."

She's a beauty to this day. That's pretty intimidating as a daughter. I spent many years wondering when I would be as gorgeous as my mother. Then I spent a few years being annoyed that it wasn't going to happen.

(An aside to my family and friends -- you don't have to send me emails to boost my self esteem. I know I look semi-ok for an old broad.)

My body type comes from my dad's side of the family. The women are short and small boned. We can dress it up. Unless someone lofts me on their shoulders, I'll never have the stature and presence I long for.

In her younger years, my mother looked a lot like Elizabeth Taylor. Men used to stalk her. She even has a beauty mark above her lip. I called her last year and said, "I may not have your beauty but your genes are in there somewhere. I've developed that beauty mark on my upper lip."

Yesterday my dad was in my kitchen talking to my goddaughter. We were looking at her prom picture and I said, "Girls didn't look like that when I was in high school." My dad said, "Your mom did and she's still gorgeous."

My mother thinks I am the most beautiful girl in the world. Here's the thing about daughters. There is no one else I would rather be compared to than her. Even when she hangs up on me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to be beautiful in my daughter's eyes; however, the mirror tells me otherwise. My mother always told me to work on inner beauty, as the outer beauty always fades. She was right.

You are a loving daughter. Thank you for your very kind words.
Love,
Mom