Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Leaping over the Fence

The husband has always been an athlete. Now it's golf but for many years it was football and hockey.

The mother-in-law has jumped the fence many times. She raised four boys. Nobody is going to mess with her boys. If it even seems that one of them is hurt, she will hurl her little body across anything.

It took me many years to understand this. Now I do. I would leap the fence for my parents and friends. I would hurl my body in front of anything to protect our children. I would go to the mattress for Big Daddy.

When I watch the news and I see the stories of people who let horrible people into their lives or tragic things happen to their children, I think of my life. We're occasionally cranky, yet blessed. We get on each other's nerves. When it's all said and done, we regularly leap over the fence for each other.

No comments: