Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Dancing and Singing

The husband loves to tell people I was a dancer. He drags it out and makes it sound like I was a pole dancer at some strip club. No, I was a ballet dancer for a while.

I think I started at about 5-years old. Tap, Ballet, Jazz, and a little bit of gymnastics. I graduated from a small studio near our home to the local college that was known for their dance regimen. I danced in Real Venues. I added musical theater to the mix and participated in shows throughout town. That was great fun. (Well, not for my parents, who sat through endless rehearsals.)

Once I was dancing in Clowes Hall, a very prestigious place in our town. I either fell or was dropped. As I was sobbing backstage, my mother said, "Oh Honey, no one noticed."

We were not poor but dance lessons were very expensive. Mr. Copeland allowed me to take as many classes as I wanted AND he used me as a demonstrator for the younger kids. He was a class act. For many years, someone picked me up at school and took me to class. Then I went to the theater. Friday nights and Saturday nights were performances. I had been in class all day Saturday. Monday through Friday, I went to class, rehearsal or both. I became very good at doing my homework between ballet classes.

When you audition for musical theater, you have to show them your abilities to sing and dance. I could dance my little feet off but I could not sing a note. I would get up early on audition mornings and walk through the house singing. My parents were very kind but occasionally they would open their bedroom door and say, "Stop!" People can be cranky in the morning so it didn't really stop me.

This is a stereotype so I apologize. But, it is true for my story and my experience. A lot of the male dancers were gay. I was a young girl showing an interest in boys. I found this all a little confusing.

In some ways, this was life altering. I experienced it all, without even realizing it at the time. Anorexia, Bulimia, Homosexuality, Fitness, Graciousness, Good Costumes, Make-up tips. It was fun and educational.

I still love to sing and dance. When the husband or my mother-in-law plays the piano, I am the first one to sing along. When Big Daddy's band plays, I dance a lot.

Last night was a clear, perfect evening. Big Daddy and I cranked up the iPod. We sang along and we danced on the patio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We did enjoy watching you dance and didn't mind sitting through lessons, rehearsals, etc, but when you wanted to audition for a singing role, I felt it was my duty to tell you that you couldn't sing. I'm glad you and Big Daddy can sing together now.

Love,
Mom