Monday, July 9, 2007

Being Bussed

I was smack dab in the middle of bussing. In 6th grade, they started bussing inner-city children to my neighborhood school. That first bus ride was pretty tense. If I were tested, I could recite the dialogue verbatim.

In middle school, I was bussed to the inner-city. It wasn't fun but I learned a lot. Until that point, I had led a pretty sheltered, white bread existence. My mother worked outside the home and I always had a pocket full of dimes so I could call and beg her to leave work early and pick me up. In those days, they locked the school after all the after school practices were completed so I was literally locked outside. I had a very intimate relationship with that pay phone.

I learned that mean people and bullies come in all colors and sizes. I learned that your new friend could be the person that sits next to you in home room or helps you learn the new cheerleading routine. I learned to give people a chance -- even those who looked or acted differently from me.

Whenever I meet close-minded people, first I get irritated and then I feel sorry for them. When you open your heart and your world, both expand.

No comments: