Saturday, July 21, 2007

No Ma'am and Yes Sir

I haven't figured out if I'm more Yankee or Southern. I have a foot in both camps.

We've had two nephews visit recently. They're both well-mannered. Every sentence begins or ends with "Sir or Ma'am." If they miss something, instead of saying, "Pardon me?" they say, "Ma'am?" The oldies just scream, "What?!"

A lot of women get irritated if they are called Ma'am. It makes them feel old. In the south, it's the norm and I find it charming.

The baby doesn't say "Sir or Ma'am" very often. (If he does, it's tongue in cheek.) He does use last names, i.e Mrs. Lee or Mr. England. Many of these people have decided that he is now an adult and can call them by their first names. He can't do it.

I was sitting outside with my nephew last night and my neighbor came through the gate. He said, "Would that be Miss Pam?" I said, "Yes sir, it is."

I guess the southern side wins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like the baby, our girls who are 22 and 19 cannot call our friends by their first names. They have already told me that when they're in their 40's, you will always be Mrs. Roman to them. I guess this is their way of keeping their childhood memories in tact, which I totally understand. During my childhood years I continued to call our neighbors Mr. & Mrs. until the day they died. I guess some habits are hard to break.....it's nice to show respect to those whom you love, although I'm not opposed to those who call me by my first name either. Whatever the youngins are comfortable with, I'm comfortable with.

Love you,
Pammie