Monday, July 23, 2007

The Naked Guy

Here's another story about babysitting in the neighborhood. You may want to know where this wild and wacky neighborhood is but I will never tell.

I was very big on the prospect of earning money. At 12-15, babysitting was my best option. Truthfully, it was pretty lucrative for those days.

A couple lived a few houses down from my parents. They had a toddler. They both worked full time and the wife went to school at night. My job was to feed and play with the toddler, then bathe him and have him ready for bed when the husband came home. Easy enough.

Before I go any further, remember I was about 12 or 13 and totally naive.

One night, I am bathing the baby. I hear the husband come in so I yelled, "Hello, we're almost finished in the tub." When I walked out, he was completely nude. In a very nonchalant way, he said, "We don't wear clothes in our house."

*** Brain clicking *** Brain freaking *** Don't know what to do. By the way, I had never seen a naked man. But, I tried to be cool and pretend this happened to me all the time. Oh sure, lots of my friend's parents didn't wear clothes.

So, I put the baby to bed and returned home. My parents were lying in their bedroom, watching television. I tried to act normal. "Did you know that the Rxxxxxx don't wear clothes when they're at home?"

My father doesn't leap. He jumped out of that bed and was out the door before I could finish my sentence.

That family moved.

If I get really brave, I may try this on the oldies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they didn't move because of your father confronting him, but we didn't miss him. We missed the wife and baby.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Did you know they got divorced when he took up with the baby sitter while she was hospialized, seriously ill. She later met a wonderful man, a teacher and a coach at Culver Military Academy. They married and moved to Rochester, Indiana. SHe is much happier now.

Anonymous said...

Good to know she had a happy ending.

cecily crossman said...

I was thinking maybe I knew this person. Glad I don't.