Friday, July 27, 2007

Cooking Styles

Cooking is weird in my house. Everyone thinks they are an expert -- except the Unabomber who waits to be served. My cooking is quick, efficient and usually quite tasty.

I came home from the lake today in the early afternoon. The mother-in-law announced her plans for dinner. Very nice, but I don't know if we'll be participating. I wandered out of my office mid afternoon and broccoli is soaking in a pot. For some reason, this made me crazy. You can steam fresh broccoli in the microwave for 4 minutes and it is delicious. Why are we soaking it at 3:00 P.M.? She's making some kind of rice and/or stuffing. Things are simmering now. I can make rice in 14 minutes (not Minute Rice) and I can make dressing in less than an hour.

I try to take a deep breath and remind myself that this makes her feel useful. Her husband will love it. (Excellent! EXCELLENT!)

Go ahead. Call me testy. I will not be eating it. If you need to start a simple dinner in the early afternoon, you have not embraced technology. I'll introduce you to a grill, a microwave, a steamer, etc. (Holidays and special occasions are an exception.) If a simple meal of meat, vegetable and a side requires four to five hours of cooking, you need a job or a hobby.

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

On the very few nights we eat in I make a salad and put one chicken breast in the oven before we play cribbage. We eat 5 minutes after the game.

Welcome back from the lake

Sheri Riley said...

Please teach me to play cribbage.

At my mother's advice, I took the dog for a long walk. Yet, I still will not be eating this meal.