Monday, July 2, 2007

The First Time

Take your mind out of the gutter -- I'm not talking about THAT first time. I'm talking about the first time you just knew in your heart and soul that This Is The One.

The oldies have a magical story. He was shot down in WWII and seriously injured. She was an army nurse who tended to him, talked to him and literally nursed him back to health. They had three dates and married in a style that has only been duplicated by the royal family.

I met the husband because my boss at the time asked me to track him down for a business situation. There was no Internet but I'm diligent and I did find him. He came to town and I found him arrogant, but intriguing. A few years later, we were sitting near each other at an advertising function. Later that week, we met for a drink. Somewhere in that evening, I knew.

I prefer the drama and the classiness of the oldies' story. You've got melodrama with the war. You've got officers and people who behaved like ladies and gentlemen. They both swear they knew immediately that This Was The One. My little ol' romantic heart finds some magic in that statement. Even when they're getting on my nerves.

No comments: