Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Dress Up Doll

My mother was a young bride and 17 months later, she became a young mother. She doted on me and her two younger sisters adored me. This is a mutual admiration society that continues today.

I don't remember those early days but I have heard the stories enough to know that I was part niece and part dress-up doll. Remember layaway? My aunts used to take (huge!) portions of their paychecks to put dresses on layaway for me. (It's easy to be the favorite niece when you're the only one.)

Now I'm fully grown and living with the oldies. The mother-in-law birthed and raised four boys. She buys me a dress for every birthday and Christmas. I am now her dress-up doll.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

Where were your aunts when my daughters were young? You were so lucky to have these women in your life. I have 5 granddaughters and I've NEVER bought one a dress.