Saturday, July 21, 2007

Secret Codes

Groucho Marx used to have the secret word. Now, we all have secret codes.

There's a code for the ATM card, debit card, etc. There's a code for the garage door remote. There's a code for the alarm system. We need a code to check our voicemail. It just goes on and on. I tried to count how many things I need to know the code ... I gave up.

Here's where the system fails. I can walk across the driveway and let myself into my neighbor's home. I know the code. I can walk into my parent's home and disarm the alarm. I know the code. Some of my friends have asked me to check on pets, plants, etc. while they're traveling. I know the code. It's a good thing I'm pretty trustworthy, although I do occasionally take things from my neighbor's pantry. (I always tell her and I always replace it.)

I'm not great at math but here's an interesting twist -- I memorize numbers easily. I may not remember names but I can usually pop out a phone number with ease. Big Daddy has everything programmed. I just say, "Stop scrolling -- the number is...."

I know ALL of the oldies' codes.

No comments: